Grilling in a skillet
The last few posts have been filled with sorrow and melancholy. Okay, lets be real… It has been a rough ass week!
So, talking to Melly last night we started talking about food. What does a newly single bachelor eat? I posted a blog entry not too long ago about my food budget. But seriously, what can I cook?
Back in the married days…. (Remember I had 21 years X 365 = 7665 days…) I would often grill. That was my form of cooking. Truthfully, I grilled maybe once or twice a week! I was a wizard. I had a sweet set of tongs (not thongs). I could cook the best steak, chicken, fish, pork chops, etc… I could slow smoke a brisket, ribs, or a chicken. I had more fun messing with new recipes. My favorite was the Beer-Butt Chicken. The girls first noticed the Beer-Butt Chicken when they were little bitty carpet rats. They loved it because they got to say, “butt”. Then run off getting lost in the carpet and giggle. T would looks exasperated with me and I wouldn’t run off but would stand there and giggle.
Back to the point…
The state of Texas has as silly law against grilling in apartments. But what I don’t understand as I drive through my complex is every other patio or porch has a grill on it. But I have never smelled anything grilling… What gives?
SO here I am in the apartment with my $5.00 red skillet and a tub of Smart Balance fake butter. I am ready to cook road kill.
I was trying to think of a good list of what I have cooked in the past 6 months I have been living the single lifestyle.
- Spaghetti. I buy the jar of regular meat sauce, fresh mushrooms, ground turkey (a habit from T… I may switch to ground beef next time I’m shopping), onions, and spices. I did purchase regular noodles for a dollar. I recognized the noodles T would buy for $3.75. Some sorta wheat thing. YUCK
- I can put chicken breasts in the skillet with butter and spices… Then cut it up and put ontop of some egg type noodles. Again, I find the bag of noodles for a dollar. I’ll usually cut up some mushrooms, veggies, etc… Pour some white sauce from a jar. I find it next to the red sauce for spaghetti. Taste like a small touch of heaven.
- I have bought and thrown pork chops in the skillet. Those are divine.
- I usually go out to eat or am able to score some leftovers from visiting my mom.
- If I go out I often get a take home box. Never did this before but heck I’m thinking another dinner can be had!
- I have gone to the Mexican restaurant around the corner from my apartment a few nights and sat at the bar and make friends with the bartender and wait staff. They have a smorgasbord of nice televisions mounted all throughout. This is a great place to sit alone, watch a little sports, and eat. I will usually order fajitas for two and bring half home for another meal.
As you can see of my sad pitiful list; I need some help.
I don’t appear to be losing any weight. I actually gained back a few of the pounds I lost during the separation. So I feel pretty good.
What do other single guys do? I am tired of smelling up the apartment and setting off the smoke alarm constantly grilling in a skillet.